MEET OUR COACHING TEAM
I started a long swimming career when I was 12 and enjoyed training and competing and the healthy lifestyle it provided. I competed at national level and enjoyed success at the endurance events of 800m and 400m freestyle, 400 individual medley and 200m butterfly.
I also competed at biathlon becoming national champion aged 17. When my swimming career finished, I qualified as a swim teacher and realised the joy that giving back to a sport can give. I enjoyed helping people to achieve in the pool. I developed my own swim school where I taught swimmers of all ages. Whilst developing the school I studied and qualified as a personal trainer and spent time studying with a strength and conditioning coach in Toronto. I have enjoyed keeping fit through my life and after running the London Marathon in 2000 I entered my first triathlon. I fell in love with the sport and soon after began my coaching journey.
Since 2000 I have competed at GB AG level at World and European Championships both at standard and long course distance. I realised that I enjoyed Ironman distance racing and to date have completed 6, together with a Kona qualification after winning my AG at IM Lanzarote. I have been a L3 coach since 2008 and have worked both as Head Coach at VO2 Maximum and with individual clients. My clients have ranged from novice triathletes to national and world champions.
When I work with individual triathletes I work closely with them to reach their goals. However, I believe it is important to be aware of their life commitments and plan training to ensure that triathlon has a balanced place in their lives. I like to challenge my athletes and work collaboratively with them. I encourage them to have input into their training planning process as I think it is important that athletes take ownership of their training. I commit to creating the most effective plan for my athletes but find that the best results come from good communication between coach and athlete around the programme.
• British Triathlon level 3 Coach
• British Triathlon Kaizen Coach
• British Triathlon Coach Educator and Assessor
• British Triathlon Coach Mentor
• British Cycling Level 2 Coach
• ASA Swim Teacher Level 2
• NLP Master Practitioner
• Personal Training Level 3
• 6 x Ironman Finisher
• Kona Qualifier
• European Long Course Silver Medallist
• Represented Great Britain at the European, World Triathlon Championships
• National AG Standard Distance Silver medallist
• Former national level swimmer
• 2 x marathon finishes
• Multiple 10km races
• Time trials
I started out obsessed with cycling and inspired to cycle by seeing Chris Boardman win gold at the Barcelona Olympics. Form this experience I took up cycling and joined the local club Southborough and District wheelers. I time trialled for 5 years competing at National level for 5 years before moving in to road racing. I moved to Belgium and competed there for 3 years taking on Under 23 races such as the Tour of Flanders and Belgium Criterium races.
I decided to stop cycling and wanted a new challenge. I couldn't swim and wanted a reason to learn so I entered a sprint distance triathlon. This was only meant to be a one off event but I was hooked. I have competed at a high level in both Duathlon and Triathlon and at all distance.
I coach people because I enjoy seeing athletes learning and working hard. I have a wealth of knowledge and experience coaching people from a range of back grounds and abailtiys. My coaching approach is to always keep it simple. This approach gets results and keeps the enjoyment in training and racing.
• British Triathlon level 2 Coach
• Personal Training Level 3
• British Cycling level 2 Coach
• 3 x Ironman Finisher
• British National Duathlon Age Group Championship
• 2 x Bronze Duathlon Age Group Championships
• Represented Great Britain at the European, World Duathlon and Triathlon Championships
• Bronze medal twice at National Duathlon Championships
• Former Elite and Semi-Professional Cyclist
• 5km Personal best 16min 27sec
• 10km Personal Best 33min 54sec
• Half Marathon Personal Best 1hour 23min
• Marathon 3hrous 27min
• 10mile Time Trial 21min 24sec
• 25miles 56min 27sec
• Ironman Personal Best 10hours 47min
Gareth Pritchard specialises in coaching for cycling and triathlon races and events. Since 2001 he has been working in a range of individual and team sports specialising as a teacher of PE and sports science however his focus is now in swimming, cycling and running. Gareth has coached numerous athletes to Ironman and Marathon finishes together with triathlon, cycling and running races and events over a variety of distances.
Gareth actively participates in triathlon and cycling, focusing on Olympic/ Sprint distance events and racing in Road and Cyclo-cross disciplines.
Beyond triathlon, Gareth works in education - lecturing in sport science. Within a sports capacity he specialises in fitness testing and providing sports specific conditioning to athletes from a variety of sports. He has a background in strength & conditioning which provides the platform for devising structured training strategies for athletes; irrespective of age, ability and whatever their goals.
• BSc (Hons) Sport Science with Fitness
• L3 British Cycling Licensed Coach (Road/TT)
• L3 BTF Coach
• Coach in Running Fitness - England Athletics
• L3 NASM Certified Personal Trainer
• L3 Diploma in Sports Injury Management & Treatment
• L1 ISAK - Anthropometrist